venerdì 4 luglio 2008

The Supplies

First thing: the shopping list.

Building plans are clear, they provide a breakdown of all the supplies needed. To start with construction you will need:
- Plywood
- Epoxy
- Timber

Epoxy
There is a wide range of prices for the epoxy resin on internet. I decided to use a product with good reviews from boatbuilders and quite affordable for my pockets. I chose the "standard speed" reaction which is recommended for an average temperature of the environment.
Along with epoxy resin come the fillers (microballons, wood powder, colloidal silica) and the consumables (gloves, mixing cups, protective mask).

Plywood
Plywood is produced in sheets of 310 x 153 cm and various thicknesses. I can't afford all the plywood needed for the entire boat at the moment, then I start with a limited amount, just to begin with the construction of one hull.
I saved some money with direct pick-up of the plywood, yet the transportation on the top the car was quite tricky.

Timber
Like the plywood I decided to get the timber necessary to build just one hull. The search for adequate timber is quite easy as is mainly light wood, like pine or similar and with standard cross-section.

1 commento:

maria ha detto...

coraggio, filo! io seguo le tue avventure dalla colombia e non vedo l'ora di vedere un po' di foto...